Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Fear of Failure

If there's something about me that shows in my entire personality, in my temper - basically everything that makes me myself, it's the fact that I'm a complete and utter perfectionist.

I've always been this way, ever since I was a little peanut and still went to primary school - I had to get my work done precisely, and I wouldn't rest until everything was completed perfectly. Back then, that was alright, and my parents were so proud of their little girl who always excelled at everything, the over-achiever, the primary example.

Somewhere along the way, however, I feel like my perfectionism has turned into something unhealthy.
I mean, it's great when your inner strenght wins over your wish to procastinate all the time and you get things done, and you do them well, but for me it's started to feel like so much pressure. Like I pressure myself to be nothing but perfect when that's all but possible.


I'm extremly scared of failure. There, I said it out loud.
It's what I've been trying to hide from people - getting smiles and hugs and recognition for doing well is great and all that, but I don't think my parents or friends would tear me apart and feed me to the lions if I ever didn't suceed at something.

I'm my own problem.
I want to so badly for myself to do well, which on one hand is healthy because after all, my entire future depends on the work I do and the choices I make leading up to my twenties, but I put so much pressure on myself that it stops me from doing all the great things I want to do.

I'm not going to lie, the days when I feel so teribble that I don't even want to approach my desks have been increasing, especially since classes and work started again on Monday.
Monday was literally my first day back, and it was enough to have me sitting in front of my Mom, crying because I felt so overwhelmed by everything that was thrown at me, even though none of it was particularly bad and outrageous.

And the awkward duckling I am, I don't really know how to explain how I feel to others, because to be honest it's hard to put into words when I think about it in my head as well, because until recently I didn't even realize how unhealthy my behaviour was starting to be.
Besides that, I feel like such a whiny twat reading all of this. It makes me cringe because I know that other people would love to do as well regarding education and work as I am and I must seem so ungrateful. If I do, I'm sorry - that's not what I'm trying to come off as.

The problem with this entire situation is that I don't know how to step back from all my work and responsibilities, sitting down and watching some episodes of my favorite TV shows is basically impossible because I always have all the things I could be getting done nagging at me while I try to relax, so other people telling me to "just chill" or "take your time and take a step back" might be really nice and want to help, but sadly it doesn't help me at all.


I don't know why I'm ranting to you all about this, but I do know that I really had to get this off my chest. And maybe there's someone else who is in a situation similar to mine?

I'd love to hear your story or thoughts on this subject as I feel it affects a lot of young people nowadays!

If you've enjoyed this post and want to be updated on fresh content regulary, why no follow me on Bloglovin'?
You can find me on Twitter and Instagram as well!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I totally get what you mean! My GCSES went really well, but I found A Levels pretty hard so I felt like a bit of a failure. But its nothing to get stressed out about! I'd spend a few hours working then take an hour out to do whatever I wanted so I'd give my brain a break x

    Everything But The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try soo hard not to stress but I feel like my brain does it automatically - as I said, I can hardly unplug and take some time to put my feet up. I can't wait for my finals phase to be over and done with! x

      Delete
  2. I can understand how you are feeling - just like you I am a perfectionist and with that comes a massive fear of failure. When I was taking my finals I put a lot of pressure on myself and when I started studying for them I just broke down in tears thinking that it was all too much. What helped me was making a plan - I wrote down exactly what I would study each day and I made sure to stop at 6 pm. Otherwise I wouldn't have allowed myself a break either. I wish I could give you tips on how to stop being afraid of failure but I'm struggling with that myself. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a study plan as well and I feel like it helped a little! However, I often only come home around 5/6pm so my studying times really differ from yours - I often study well into the night which is horrible! x

      Delete
  3. I think the key is to remember that the regret you'll feel from not giving something your best shot is way worse than the feeling of failure.

    COLLEENWELSCH.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put so much pressure on myself before leaving university to find a job after university and it ended up making everything so much worse. Try and keep everything structured, give yourself time off and good luck! Everything will always work out for the best :) xxx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get how you feel, I think deep down we all feel like that too. Some people not to frequently, and some of us every single day.

    I'm scared of failure too and I'm aware of the amount of pressure I put on myself when I shouldn't do that, but I can't help it. I think the best advice I could give you is remind yourself you're amazing no matter what, do it every day until you realize that it is true and you can slow down a little.

    Love your blog, Carmen x

    wandering-banshee.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post speaks volumes! You're whining, your just touching on things people are afraid to talk about. I'm a perfectionist just like you so sometimes I get fearful to do things cause I feel like it won't be good enough and I don't know how to share how I feel either so sometimes I feel kept in the dark, but I totally understand where you are coming from X

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig