Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Worth The Hype? | Beauty


We all know them. The blogger favorites. The so proclaimed "miracle products". They're raved about in what feels like every second post that shows up on our Bloglovin' feeds, and if we're being honest here, we are a tiny bit sick of seeing them.

But what makes everybody love these products so much? There clearly needs to be something to them if everyone and their mothers is head over heels for them.

I'm not even going to deny it - I myself have definitely been influenced to make the odd purchase by other bloggers, and not always was I quite as happy as everyone else seemed to be.
So - which blogger favorites are really worth the hype surrounding them?



Marc Jacob Daisy Dream EdT

I've talked about this perfume so much on here that everyone is probably sick of hearing about it, woops. It isn't just a firm blogger favorite among the likes of Jo Malone, it's also my all time favorite perfume.

As the name suggests, it smells rather floral, but there's also fruity notes, like pear, to it. What I really like about this is that its scent isn't at all heavy or overly sicklish, but it's light and lovely - perfect for the warmer seasons.
The only issue I have with this is that it has days when it just doesn't seem to stick around for long - give it an hour or two and it'll have disappeared. Not cool.

Worth the hype?

With perfumes, it always depends on the kind of scents you're into, but if you, like me, love lighter, more floral and fruity perfumes, this should definitely be for you!


Essie Nail Polishes (review)

I think almost every blogger on this damn planet owns at least one polish by Essie. For the longest time, I never even bothered with them - I know, I know. But I just didn't see the appeal of them, and I have an entire drawer full of nail polishes anyway.

I'm so glad that I finally picked one of these up last summer, because they're probably the best I've ever tried.
For one, you get the widest shade range, so there's got to be something that appeals to you. And then there's the quality of the nail polishes - they look soo opaque, and they last almost an entire week without chipping, even if you do a lot of work with your hands.

Worth the hype?

Definitely! The quality of these is outstanding, and at 7€ a bottle they are both a lot cheaper and still a lot better in quality than a lot of high-end products - this beats my Givenchy polish by miles!


Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation

No lie, I bought this because I saw so many bloggers rave about it.
And it did sound great - it comes in 12 different shades and even caters for the paler and darker skintones, which most drugstore brands tend to forget; other bloggers claimed it to have a lovely finish; I love Rimmel anyways. I was sold.

I ended up not liking at all. The formula is so hard to work with and blend in, it ends up looking patchy and cakey soon after application every damn time. Its longevity also isn't too great - after a mere hour, the foundations has disappeared from my T-Zone altogether, and my skin isn't even majorly oily.

Worth the hype?

No. I don't know how others got this to work for them, but I doesn't work for me in the slightest.
I much prefer Rimmel's Wake Me Up Foundation, which gives my skin a nice, dewy finish.


MAC Lipstick in 'Velvet Teddy' (review)

This has to be one of the most hyped lipsticks of all time. Ever since word was that it was one of the products Kylie Jenner used to achieve her perfect lips, it was constantly sold out for what must've been over a year.
But there's a lot more to this than just the Kylie Jenner pout.

This might be the most versatile nude I've ever come across - it suits all types of skin tones (for example, I'm pale as heck while my Mom has olive toned skin, and it suits her a lot). It also goes with next to every make up look, so it's a perfect every day shade.
Its pigmentation is pretty strong, and because of its matte formula it lasts on the lips for an insane amount of time - because of it being matte, it sadly tends to dry out the lips, so a little prep is needed when using it.

Worth the hype?

Yes. As it's so versatile, you'll get a lot of wear out of this - which makes the 20€ price tag a little more bearable.


Max Factor Pastel Compact Blush

These were featured on what felt like every single beauty blog around this time last year, mostly because they are great dupes for the Hourglass Ambient Lighting blushes, which are both incredibly pretty and hideously expensive.

As for the Max Factor ones - they're the shit. These are so pigmented and give great color pay-off when applied with a brush, but they're also very easy to blend into the skin if you want to avoid looking like a clown. They also last suprisingly long - I've never had a blush last on my cheek for half a day before these ones!

Worth the hype?

Yes! The quality of these is claimed to outrun even the likes of Hourglass and MAC, so you might want to think again before splurging on a blush next time.


Zoeva Brushes

These have been getting quite a bit of attention in the blogosphere over the past few months, and rightfully so. These are great quality vegan brushes - the synthetic hairs are soft as hell, even after washing them a couple of time; they don't fall out at all and they pick products up insanely well without losing too much of the product.

Worth the hype?

Yes, most definitely - especially their buffer, eyebrow and all of their eyeshadow brushes have completely changed the game for me. These are so handy and using them to do my make up really makes a visible difference compared to other brushes.


Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara (review)

This was praised high and low as a great dupe for Benefit's Roller Lash, and because I've always loved Maybelline's mascaras and just can't justify splurging so much on something as simple as mascara, I gave it a try.

The results I achieve with this are amazing! It more than doubles the lenght of my lashes and also adds a little bit of volume to them. There's hardly any fallout to be had, and no sign of smudging at all.

Worth the hype?

Definitely - it works almost exactly the same as Roller Lash does for me and costs a third of the price!


Urban Decay's Naked Palette

I think almost every woman in her twenties will have heard of Urban Decay's infamous Naked Palettes before. They're basically worshipped by bloggers, and rightfully so.

The quality of these eyeshadows still amazes me to this day - they're so super pigmented, even the very light shades, which is basically unheard of, and they're also very long-lasting. If you combine these with a primer, you'll achieve even better color-pay-off and have the shadows last you literally all day long.

Worth the hype?

Hell to the yes. While these palettes are really expensive, you can create so many different looks for different occasions with them, and I don't know any brand to match the quality of this range.


Beauty Blender

This little sponge made it really big in the blogging community last year - it seemed to be a miracle product when it comes to application. Like always, I couldn't keep myself from giving in to the hype. Well, I guess you live and you learn.

I don't know why, but I just couldn't work with it. It needs to be damp for application, and that alone was enought to put me off - it felt messy, and it was as well. It also seemed impossible for me to build any coverage with this at all and I always ended up making my foundation look patchy and uneven.

Worth it?

Not in my eyes. Make up brushes, like the Zoeva ones, or even my fingers work a lot better when applying foundation - no need to splurge on this little one.


Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in '07'

I feel like this is a lot of people's favorite red, myself included. I think that's because the darker, berry shade of red suits quite a few types of skin tones - even the palest of us don't look washed out. Props for that.

It's a matte formula, which means that it's pretty long-lasting - however, it doesn't last through heavy eating the way Velvet Teddy does - but it's also heavily drying. I've never had anything affect my lips as much as this did, I was pretty sure they'd start bleeding. Not too nice.

Worth the hype?

It depends on whether or not you'd be down for splurging a little on a lipstick with a better formula - if you're okay with wearing drugstore lippies, you should definitely give this a go!


Have you ever given in to the hype and bought blogger favorite?
Bloglovin' | Twitter | Instagram
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Couple of times, I love these kind of posts you can get a heads up on most products that you are not sure if it's right for your skin type and such. Love this post. :)

    www.yellenah.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I wrote this post - I want to inform others thoroughly about products that are praised high and low so they don't end up hating them! Thank you :) x

      Delete
  2. Loved this post! Great to hear different views rather than everyone loving everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah, I often see products receiving nothing but praise, which I think is a little sketchy - there usually is a catch to everything. x

      Delete
  3. This is a great post idea!

    Emily xo
    www.emilynewstead.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree on the Urban Decay palettes, the colors are amazing and the quality is incredible. I don't regret spending money on them at all!

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear ! I love love this post! I have the Naked palette and it's simply amazing. Also I've tried Essie nail polishes and they're good and they have so many colors !
    And I'll try the Maybelline mascara !! <3

    aishettina.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig