Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Summer Book Haul

 If there's a perfect time for reading, it definitely has to be summer. There's less work on my desk that needs to be done, my balcony is extra inviting as the sun beams onto it and I generally manage to make more time for myself - and is there a better past-time than reading?

I've shared some of my favorite book quotes on here before - twice, because the first post was so popular! (you can find part one here, part two here) - and also reviewed some of my recent reads, but I've never actually shared a book haul on my blog.

But when I went shopping and picked up a whopping five books to take with me when I go on holiday, I thought - why not? You guys seem to enjoy the times when I talk about books and reading is one of my biggest passions, so let me tell you a lil' something about the books I picked out the other day!



It's no secret that I love Rainbow Rowell's writing with all my heart, so one could think that "Eleanor & Park" might've been sitting on my shelf for ages already, but nu-uh. I don't know why I haven't bought this earlier because I've certainly had it in my hands before - what the hell had I been doing?
I actually don't know much about the book's arc because I like to dive into books head-first, but from the information at the book I've gathered that it's about two teenagers called Eleanor and Park who are both the odd one out in their own way and, once they find each other, fall in love.


I had never heard of "Vanishing Girls" prior to entering my favorite bookstore and seeing it there, but I've read several of Lauren Oliver's books and I know how much they can draw me in - I often end up reading them in one or two sittings - so I read up on it on Goodreads.
It is esentially a thriller surrounding the disappearances of several girls and how ugly sibling rivalary can really get - it's said to be extremely gripping and deeply compelling and was even compared to Gone Girl, so I'm very interested in if this mystery lives up to the great reviews.


"Miss Pergerine's Home For Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs is another novel that has been talked about widely - it was even turned into a movie directed by Tim Burton!
I've always refrained from it because to be honest, I was afraid it might creep me out too much. I know, I'm the biggest scaredy cat, laugh at me all you want. But judging by the snyopsis, a book about a boy exploring an abandoned orphanage on a remote island doesn't sound too funny, especially when it says that the children the orphanage housed might not be so dead.
The book also includes photgraphs of some rather creepy looking children, so I feel like I'll have to read this at the pool or beach where I won't have to be afraid of the dark.


Nina Lacour and David Levithan's "You Know Me Well" is a fairly new novel that has received great ratings, so I was intrigued when I saw it sitting on a shelf in the book store.
It's about two teens who know each other from school without ever really getting to know each other, who unexpectedly meet one night. As both struggle with issues of their own, they grow closer to one another.
What I love about this already is that both of the story's main characters are gay - I want to read more books that represent the LGTB community, so this is a win-win situation!


Compared to all the other books I purchased, I know next to nothing about "Aristotele and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" by Benjamin Alire Saenz - I purposely tried to avoid any reviews or synopses because every book blogger and YouTuber I follow has praised this book high and low, so I wanted to make up my opinion on this all by myself without being influenced by others.



Have you read any great books recently? If so, please let me know - I'm always looking to add books to my 'to-read' list!
If you're interested in keeping up with me and my readings, you can add me on Goodreads as well.

If you liked this post and want to be updated on fresh content regularly, why not follow me on Bloglovin'?
You can find me on TwitterPinterest and Instagram as well!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Ooh Vanishing Girls sounds good! I've just finished The Girl On The Train and now I can see what all the hype was about x

    Everything But The Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanishing Girls is really good! It took me a day or so to get into, but then I basically devoured it. It also has a plot twist you won't see coming at all!

      Delete
  2. Nice Post! Miss Pergerine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, I saw the trailer for the movie and it looks amazing and slightly creepy.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the trailer as well and that's what made me want to read the book! And if the movie's anything like the book, it's going to be incredible.

      Delete
  3. These are some really good books! I really need to read more Rainbow Rowell too. I've heard so many good things about Eleanor & Park.
    Steph x.
    marvelsteph.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her writing so much, and Eleanor and Park was no expectation! It's a really great book, so you should really check it out. x

      Delete
  4. I love rainbow rowell books ! I really to get one them soon ! great post bytheway ! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig