Sunday, April 12, 2015

How To Pass Your Exams | Lifestyle


I hate to break it to you, fellow students, but spring break has offically come to an end - getting up at 5.30 for classes tomorrow will be truly depressing - and you all know what that means. Right, final exams.

Something that I have been good at for pretty much my entire life is studying - not so much of a party trick, but pretty handy when it comes to surviving the worst time of the school year.
To be honest with you, there has not been a year when I didn't walk out of there with less than an A average.

I know a lot of people who are struggling with finding a method that works for them, so I want to share some tips that help me handle studying with you guys.


1. Declutter your workspace

I can't stress this one enough! Your workspace is the base for what you achieve or don't achieve.
I myself can't concentrate on what is in front of me when I'm surrounded with a ton of stuff and I can imagine that I'm not the only one.
Get rid of everything that isn't contributing to your studies - your phone/laptop, bottles, food, little piles of trash, what have you.
Put it away where you don't see it - that way, it will not distract you from working.

2. Don't leave it 'til the last minute

Regarding exams, I've next to never done this before because my anxiety always gets the best of me, but it has happened with smaller projects before.
I know how tempting a Netflix marathon or a day out with your friends might seem, and there is always going to be a valid enough reason to procastinate, but at one point you will find yourself sitting at your desk at 10pm the day before your exam without having revised, and we both know that an all-nighter filled with lots of coffe, redbull and panic is not going to cut it.

As harsh as it sounds, you will have to plan ahead, especially if you have a bunch of exams in a small period of time.
Make a study schedule - don't try to overdo it, studying for seven hours on end isn't going to benefit you. Set one to two hours of revision for one exam on one day, on the other day, to the same for a different exam - that way, you're not focusing too much on one single subject.

3. Delete social media from your phone

Yes, social media are very, very tempting. But there are only so many times you can refresh your instagram feed until you're running out of new things to read, and surely, twitter will wait.
The best way to stop picking up your phone for "a short break" every five minutes is to temporarily delete all of the social media apps of your phone. When you're done with your exams, you can easily download them again, so no damage is done.

If you still find yourself using your phone rather than reading your notes, there are a few apps that let you block yourself from using your phone for a set amount of time in order to stop it from distracting you.

4. Worrying is counter-productive

I worry a lot, about a lot of things, but mostly about school. When I know I have the final of a subject that I'm not exactly great at - Maths or Physics, cough - I will already sweat and shiver before even picking up my notes for revision.
Remember that when you've done a decent job at revising, you do not have anything to fear when it comes to the exam. Yes, there might be some tricky questions, but don't fret. After some thinking, you will probably be able to figure even those out. 
Panicking is the worst thing you can do to yourself.

5. Give yourself a break

As I mentioned above, endless study sessions are not gonna do you any good - you'll end up burning yourself out and probably forgetting half the stuff you revised.
Ways to relax between revision periods are going for walks, rewarding yourself - because hey, you've totally earned it - or talking to someone about/writing down the things that stress you out.
Don't give yourself such a hard time.


And in the end, remember that you're only human, and if you don't achieve everything that you want to, that is okay, because that's what we do. We get knocked on our butts and get up again to do it better next time.

What is a method that helps you revise more efficently?

Thank you so much for reading!

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hey! We are doing a finals exam series and would love if you would guest post or vice versa.
    Shaguna and Kaylee
    www.goldandhearts.com

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig