Wednesday, June 17, 2015

5 Things I've Learnt Since Moving Out | Lifestyle

Never in my life would I have thought that by the time I'm sixteen, I would have my own place. Nu-uh. I'm at a point in my life where everything is kind of overwhelming and I'm expected to have everything that I want to do with my life after graduation figured out soon, when all I really want to do is grab a bag of potato chips and watch an entire season of Pretty Little Liars in one day.
How the hell am I supposed to be a functional adult?

Alright, maybe I'm overexaggerating. But the introduction to this post basically sums up the thoughts that kept me up during the first night I spent completely alone, and that seriously wasn't pretty. I would say that I was having a major quarter-life crisis, but I'm not even in my mid-twenties yet.
This is getting out of hand y'all.

Anyways. Ever since that anxiety and chocolate filled first night, I've learnt quite a few things that I never really struggled with when I still lived with my family, and I felt like sharing them with you would be a nice way to reflect on how far I've come - and to be honest, some of them might be pretty darn amusing.

1. There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

As I mentioned, the first night I spent completely alone was absolutely horrible. I felt insanely isolated and lonely, and even though I live in a pretty large house and I'm basically surrounded by other people - including my family, who actually live in the same apartment complex I live in, I felt like the only person on earth. This might sound rather stupid, but as I'm a huge family person and used to someone being around me almost 24/7, that was the biggest change I had to face.
Ever since then, though, I think I've been improving. I like spending time alone now and I'm very happy about the fact that I get to have some "me" time without anyone killing my vibe.

2. Cleaning can actually be fun?

Before sitting down to write this post, I had a major cleaning spree. I was putting that off for days now, when I suddenly thought "You know what? Let's fucking do this."
And off I went. Hoovering, scrubbing the floors, taking out the trash, the list goes on. I basically went into full on Cinderella mode, and I was having way too much fun doing that.
Is this normal? Why am I suddenly enjoying something that I've always looked upon as a chore? Send help.

3. Sleep is precious, but sadly rare.

Being used to living together with three other people who with a sleeping schedule very similar to mine, I managed to actually go to sleep at human hours due to the fact that studying all the lights on at midnight simply isn't going to cut it for a household full of people who get up at 5 am.
Living on my own though, I have no one to remind me that hey, it's a quarter to midnight and now you'll only get five hours of sleep - more likely less than that. What the hell have you done.
While I usually don't struggle with time managment at all, I seem to not be able to keep up a reasonable sleeping schedule now. My alarm like to mercilessly remind me of that every single morning.

4. There is a reason behind "best used by" dates.

I'm not talking about that box of cereals that is a day or two past its date - obviously, those are still very well edible.
No, I'm talking about fruit and/or vegetables that have been living in my fridge for weeks on end before I actually remembered to throw them out - resulting in the fact that I will never look at cucumbers and mangoes the same way. Seriously, after I had that incident earlier today, I had to sit down and use anti-bacterial on half of my body. I'll spare you with the details.

5. Cooking is super rad - once you know how to actually do it.

Now, I know how to cook a few basic meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner - but let's be honest here, there's only some many times a girl can eat scrambled eggs, noodles or tacos.
This is where I'll start complaining that school doesn't educate you in basic knowledge that you will need later on in life - things like taxes, managing a household, or cooking.
I guess I'll have to annoy my Mom some more with this, borrow her cookbooks and learn through trial and error.
Until then, scrambled eggs it is,


If you have already moved out, what is something that you learnt along the way?


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. This is so exciting having your own place! I will hopefully move out in a few years when I go to university :)

    Sarah | sarahanne14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It has really made me think more seriously about moving out! Thanks x

    Abbie
    abigalexo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning feels really funny, and it makes me feel super accomplished!
    Shaguna
    gold&hearts

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig