Sunday, April 10, 2016

Why Being Politically Involved Is Important | Lifestyle


They told me not to talk about politics. It will only enrage people and end up in heated discussions about values, principles and morales. It will not make you any friends.

But why should we keep something so important under wraps? Especially when it is something that concerns all of us, even people as young as I am.

Just so you get a better understanding of where all the frustration that drove me to write this post comes from - try discussing your country's political situation with people between the ages of fifteen and twenty. In most cases, they will either laugh at you, roll their eyes or simply walk away.

When I talked to one of my friends about finally being able to vote next year, they told me that they definitely won't go to the polls - they have no clue about politics and anyways, you're way too young to think about that kind of thing at eighteen.

I'm really sorry to be this blunt about the matter at hand, but statements like that make me very angry. In which way will you benefit from being ignorant towards the way the country you live in is lead? Shouldn't you at least be a tiny bit interested in the affects current political situations will have on your life?
Because they obviously will have some, and you sure can't ignore them forever - at one point, you will realize that new legislations were passed and you can't get plastic bags at shops aymore, for example. And that's just a minor change to our lives, there's often a lot more at stake.

I'm this passionate about how important it is to inform and educate yourself on politics because my country's political situation isn't exactly a walk in the park at the moment. There's quite a bit of chaos and distempers going on, and the only ones benefitting from that are extremist parties - which I don't want to have a majority in parlament, if I'm completely honest.

By simply not going to the polls, whether it's because you feel like you don't know enough about politics, you think your vote won't make a difference anyways, or you want to make some sort of statement by not voting for the party you used to vote for, you're doing more damage than you think.

It's always better to go.
If you feel like you don't know enough, watch the news, do some research on the partys policies on the internet - you'll be caught up in no time.
If you feel like your vote doesn't make a difference, think again. It might sure seem that one single person doesn't matter, but it'd be a whole other thing if thousands of others thought the same thing.
And if you think that you'll teach the politicians a lesson by not going or voting for extremist parties, take a look at their policies - do you really want people who are homophic and xenophobic to run your homecountry?


I'm not really sure where I'm going with this entire ramble.
I obviously can't force anyone to do something they don't want, but I guess I'm appealing to people's common sense here.
This doesn't just concern some politicians far, far away from you, but also your future, your life. It's a matter you have a say in, so you should use your voice to speak up.


What's your view on this topic? It's highly controversial, so I'm sure a lot of people will see this in a totally different light - I'd love to know your opinions!

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I totally agree with what you have to say! I get to vote this year as I turn 18 which I am very excited about. I find politics interesting although I don't always understand. I watch the news a lot and try and stay up to date as much as possible! I don't think there is ever a age when you are too young to vote. Once you are 18 you need to take more responsibility in being interested in politics as you will be the ones growing up in the world. If you didn't vote you will soon regret it later on xx

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/the-blogging-community-why-it-is.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I don't always understand everything either, but it's important that we at least try to be as informed as possible - and at 18, you should be mature to take on a responsibility like that. x

      Delete
  2. This is SO important, especially this year with so much at stake. If you don't vote, you don't get to complain about what happens after the election!

    Chelsea
    Chow Down USA
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. This year really is one for big decisions, so we all should make them as well!

      Delete
  3. I love politics, I study it at university, and I think it's so important that people do exercise their voting right. Even if you spoil a ballot paper, it's better than not going at all. I do think more should be taught in schools though, I think that would help in getting more people understanding politics at least

    Emily X | emilyclairewrites.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about doing politics at university before, I feel like I'd really like it!
      And I agree with you - politics is taught in social studies classes in my state, but it only makes up half of the class and most students are so disinterested that they don't get anything out of it.

      Delete
  4. I think it is important to be politically woke about the situation in your country as well as what's going on in the rest of the world too. Maybe some teenagers think I'm granma, nonetheless I do enjoy reading newspapers and watching news. Also, I'm glad that my friends are interested in politics too, so we have our little discussions every now and then instead of having chats about something silly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I'm the exact same - I enjoy keeping up with what's going on around the world. None of my friends are all that interested in politics, but as we're currently talking about the American elections I can at least discuss that with them - there's a lot steam to be let off on that topic, hahaha. x

      Delete
  5. I've been quite interested in a politics for a short while now but I still don't understand it a lot either to be fair. I'm not registered to vote because I honestly didn't think it would make much of difference but since taking an interest in it, it's something I'm starting to consider although I'm still not entirely sure. Thank you for making this post, it's opened my eyes a little bit as well as giving me a little boost towards the idea that having an interest in politics can actually be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a long time to fully understand a political system, but you always have to start somewhere.
      I'm so glad that I could hell you! :) x

      Delete
  6. This is such an important post. I wish young people were more engaged with politics. I find the situation in Germany quite interesting at the minute, but trying to discuss it with anyone is super difficult and the only ones who seem to have any opinion is the ones with the more extreme views! I'm a bit worried about the complacency in my generation towards voting in my country too considering we have the referendum coming up - if young people don't vote, we could end up leaving the EU. That's going to affect young people so much yet they aren't bothered???
    Great post though and well done for posting it!

    Hannah xx
    www.hannahemilylane.com

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig