Monday, September 11, 2017

5 Shows You Have to Watch on Netflix

Who doesn't love a good Netflix session? I personally love plopping down on the sofa or on my bed after a long and tiring day and putting on one of my favorite shows - and believe me, I have a lot of them.
One of the reasons why I love Netflix that I simply cannot run out of things to watch because every time I finish a show, I scroll through my recommendations to find another one that appeals to me - after I've finished mourning the end of my other beloved show, of course.

However, all of us TV show lovers will know that all that glitters is not gold - some shows might seem interesting, thrilling even, when you read through their synopsis, but once you're actually two episodes into them you're either bored to death or might even have fallen asleep.

In order to avoid the feeling of being catfished by promising looking shows, I thought I would recommend some of my favorites to you guys!






1. Orphan Black (trigger: suicide)

This show is incredibly smart. Like, way too over my head kind of smart, but that does not stop me from enjoying it at all - it makes me marvel at how the hell they make this show every single episode.

Now you're probably mildly confused. Let me explain: Orphan Black starts off with Sarah Manning watching a woman who looks exactly like her commit suicide by jumping in front of a train. Sarah, who was adopted, is mesmerized by this and starts investigating this mysterious woman - only to find out that there's more women out there to look like her. And no, they don't happen to be quadruplets - they're clones.

This show has it all - it's gripping as hell, the characters are so relatable and feel so real that you just want to reach into your screen and squeeze them, and the science side to it is just awesome.
Also, Tatiana Maslany plays all of the clones by herself. This woman is such an incredible actor, I don't know how she's able to pull it all off, but I'm loving it.


2. Riverdale

Maybe the most hyped show of 2017, Riverdale starts of with the death of Jason Blossom, son of Riverdale's most influencial family and popular quarterback of Riverdale High. Soon enough, the police find out that Jason was actually murdered, contrary to his twin sister's claim that they got seperated when their boat was flipped over - and the hunt for Jason's killer starts.

Now, this sounds like your typical murder mystery, but I think what had me binge watching this show for two days is that it has so much more to it: there's your coming-of-age teenage high school drama (if you've followed my Recent Reads series you'll know I'm into that), incredible characters and character development, the shots are soo aesthetically pleasing - and then there's Cole Sprouse. That says it all.

I have to say that there are some things about this show that I didn't enjoy about Riverdale, especially towards the end of the first seasons when the plot became a little too trippy for my liking, but overall, I still had a great time watching this and can't wait for season two!


3. 3%

I don't know anyone else who has watched this show, but I liked it so much that I just had to get word out and share it with you guys!

3% is Brazilian TV show set in a dystopian universe that is divided into devastation and progress, the Inland and the Offshore. All citizens of the slums the Inland consists of have the chance to make it to the Offshore and live a better life by going what is known as The Process - several tests that only 3% of all candidates pass.

The first season only has eight episodes, so I powered through it within a day. I've got to admit that it took me almost the entire first episode to get into the show, simply because the Brazilian show makers have a very different style to the shows I usually watch, but it's very compelling and draws you in rather quickly. There's so many twists and turns to be found here that you're basically on the edge of your seat for the majority of the time - the first season even ends with one hell of a cliffhanger, so I'm over the moon that Netflix renewed it for a second season!


4. Shadowhunters

If you haven't read at least one book of Cassandrs Clare's The Mortal Instruments series, the concept of the show might be very confusing or bizzare to you. When her mother disappears, Clary Fairchild learns that she is a Shadowhunter, and so is her mother. Shadowhunters are humans borns with angelic blood who fight to protect the mundane world from demons, and Clary has to dive even further into their world if she wants to rescue her mother.

If you love fantasy and are open to new things, this show will grow on you, I promise. The second season was great, in my opinion, especially after the cast and crew had a bit of a rough start in season one with a low budget and CGI that needed a lot of work to do.
And if you, like me, have read the books, you should definitely check this one out to see some of your favorite characters come to life - I'm actually in love with how the show portrays Simon, Alec and Magnus!


5. Pretty Little Liars

This god damn show. This one's my baby. I've grown up with it, so I refuse to not put it on this list even if I'm aware of its faults.
Pretty Little Liars starts of with the disapperance of Alison Dilaurentis, the mean queen bee of Rosewood Highschool. Soon after, Alisons four best friends receive anonymous text messages signed only with -A. teasing or threatening them. Just as the girls come to believe it is Alison who's sending them these messages, Alison's body is found, and A threatens them that they know "everything" that has happened that lead to her death.

The first three or four seasons of this were an actual blast, I swear. However, the longer the show dragged on, the more plot holes and loose ends appeared that had me as well as every other viewer more and more frustrated, and yet I continued watching because I was so comitted to these characters.

If you're into mysteries, high school drama and some coming-of-age elements, this one's for you. I promise you it'll make you fall in love with these characters just as much as I did, and if you, like me, make it to the end of season seven and thus, the end of the show against all odds, you'll find yourself weeping.



Are there any Netflix shows you would recommend to anyone? Let me know in the comments!




SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Oww thanks for the suggestions! Some things I need to watch now :) I would recommend Gilmore Girls and Dexter always!

    Holly x
    http://www.ldnmuse.com/6-tv-series-to-watch/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just starting using my boyfriend's netflix account so I'll definitely be checking out these shows on there!

    Ali | Ali Caitrin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for these recommendations perfect for a bit of binge watching in the colder and dark evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Riverdale and am so excited for the next season. I have been binging on gavin and stacey and IT crowd, not quite the same but I love a good comedy!
    Lois x
    www.lifeasloismay.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I deleted my Netflix account ages ago, and was thinking of starting to subscribe again... and you've just reminded me that I was so obsessed with PLL! I only got to like season 4, now I'm definitely bringing it back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dedicated my LIFE to Pretty Little Liars! They definitely dragged it out and I hated the ending, but like you, I grew up with it! There's a lot of good character progression. I didn't enjoy Riverdale that much - I find the acting really sucky (but I know I'll watch season 2 anyway lol). I'll have to give the others a go! Thanks for recommending!

    Alice x | www.invocati.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE Orphan Black!
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always looking for new shows to binge on so this is a great post! I'm definitely going to try 3%, or sounds right up my street. I've recently started watching You, Me, Her which I love. It's really easy to watch with each episode just 20 minutes long and it's both funny and sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I started watching 3% - I really like it, but why did they have to dub it!!! I would've preferred subtitles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post! I love Riverdale and I can't wait for season 2. I am currently watching RuPaul's Drag Race which is amazing! Would definitely recommend.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved Orphan Black (can't wait for season 5!) and I've heard good things about Riverdale so might have to give it a try! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ever since my brother installed Netflix on my PS4, I am obsessed with it. I want to watch all the shows and movies that I didn't get the chance to watch. Thank you for this recommendation ! ������

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great recommendations! I’ve watched PLL and I’m halfway through Riverdale now! I love gossip girl and Jane the virgin! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to looooove PLL then after that “big” A reveal I sadly hated it :( However, I absolutely LOVE Orphan Black wow wow wow, how sad was the ending?! I cried lol, ugly tears and the lot. 3% and shadow hunters sound really interesting, I’ll give them a shot, I watched like one episode of river dale and hated it it felt like a cringe twilight but so many people love it so I may give it another chance. Here’s some of my faves, The Killing, The Vampire Diaries, Luther, Designated Survivor, Stranger Things, currently watching Ghost War, Friends, gossip girl, gilmore girls, Manhunt Una Bomber, The OA, Altered Carbon, to just name a few ;)
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very good recommendations! Like these instagram bot . I use this one myself for my instagram.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig