Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Recent Reads #13 - Eleanor and Park

If there's two things I'm head-over-heels in love with, it's got to be literature and music. Those two things are omnipresent in my life, always there to catch me, to make me forget, to make me remember, to inspire me, to make me feel something. So, how come I hardly ever read books that are based around music?

Granted, I didn't pick up Rainbow Rowell's "Eleanor and Park" because it included music. I actually didn't know about that at all. I didn't know about it because I tried to avoid as much information on this book as possible before actually reading it, because there are so many people who are in love with it and so many people who aren't and I wanted to steer clear from all those discussions and just experience the ride for myself.


As the title suggests, Eleanor and Park follows the story of two teenagers. Eleanor is chubby, poor and a ginger - and when she arrives at her new school, she is instantly disliked by all of her classmates. Park is Asian, really into music and tries to stay under the radar at school.

When the two of them have to sit next to each other on the bus, they take an instant dislike to one another as Eleanor starts drawing the other kid's attention to Park, who thus tries to stay away from her.
Over time, however, the two of them start to approach eachother. Park starts lending Eleanor his comics, and eventually, his mp3-player and mixes he has created for her. Over time, the two fall in love the way you do when you fall in love for the first time - in a very sudden, confusing, messy way.
Park would do anything for Eleanor and cannot imagine ever being parted from her again - but Eleanor's situation at home starts leaving its strains on their relationship.


I don't even know where to start with this review. This book literally took me by suprise, swept me of my feet and then, eventually, slammed me into the ground, no lie. In no way, shape or form did I expect this book to be such an emotional rollercoaster.
I loved that the plot wasn't your typical YA lovestory, it's not about the bad guy and the shy girl, it's not perfect. It's raw and realistic and rough at the edges, and that's what makes it so much more beautiful.

The characters in this were incredible. Especially Park was so well-written that he seemed so incredible realistic and relatable, like you'd want to reach into the page and give him a squeeze. I also liked the way he thinks and how fiercely he loves. There's so much depth to him. I also loved the way his family was portrayed.
Eleanor, however, was a different story. She's definitely a very strong character and my admiration for the way she held herself and handled her horrid situation is immense, but sometimes I found it a little hard to comprehend her actions; she was often quite stubborn and didn't look at the big picture. It wasn't completely out of character because of the situation she had to face at home, but it was, at times, still unnerving.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was that it's set in the eighties. Most of the books on my shelf are either set in modern-day time or in the future, so it was really refreshing to find yourself in a world without mobile phones and the internet. It really fit the story as it complicated the relationship between Park and Eleanor further as the latter doesn't have a landline, which means that the only way they were able to communicate was through letters or in person.


Overall, this was a fantastic read. Eleanor and Park is one of those stories that takes your breath away and stays with you, even after you've closed the book. It makes you think and it makes you laugh and it might tear you up a little, and mostly it'll remind you what it feels like to fall in love.


If you liked this post and want to be updated on fresh content regularly, why not follow me on Bloglovin'? You can find me on TwitterPinterest and Instagram as well!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Nice post! I am going to put this on my To Read list, I have heard so much about this book but I still haven't read it yet.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I read this book early this year and omg, I'm still not over it!

    xx

    dandynsofia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig