Sunday, January 24, 2016

How To Get A Good Night's Sleep | Lifestyle


I love sleep just as much as your average teenager or young adult does, but I've somehow always struggled with getting a good night's rest. I either try to - and fail to - fall asleep for hours, or I keep waking up several times a night, or I wake up at 3am and can't fall back asleep.

My sleeping issues started to increase my stress levels even more during my finals, which I took in December and January, which meant that I turned into an actual insomniac. The dark circles under my eyes testify that - they haven't completely disappeared yet.
Obviously, I had to do something about the fact that I didn't sleep a wink, so I tried quite a few things that were supposed to help me fall asleep - and as I can't be the only one who's struggling with getting a good night's sleep, I'm going to share the four things that helped me out the most with you guys!


1. No screens before bed:

This is what most people told me when I asked them for advice, and even though I've always believed this to be a hoax, it definitely works.
I've always been that person that turns off their laptop and TV, just to creep into bed and whip out their phone. No lie, occasionally I even fell asleep with my phone in my hand - am I the only one who does this?
However, turning off any kind of screen, be it my computer, TV or phone, around 30 minutes before going to sleep has definitely helped me with falling asleep. I used that time to sit down in bed and read a little - I'd forgotten how soothing that can be! Putting down the electronica definitely helped me calm down before bed, which is the first step to getting some quality sleep.


2. Having a hot bath:

I don't know if that's just me, but whenever I'm having a hot bath I start to feel insanely tired and somewhat dizzy around twenty minutes in. However, that means having a nice, hot bath just before heading to bed can work wonders when it comes to sleep!
I've found that whenever I use bath bombs or bubble bars, flowery and fresh scents like rose and lavender work their magic a lot better than heavy, sweet scents.


3. Exercising:

I admit it, I'm not exactly what you'd call fit - actually, I'm pretty lazy - so this point is not something that I would have ever included in my evening routine, but when I did manage to remove my butt from the sofa and actually exercised, it did affect the way I slept more than I had ever imagined.
I'm not even talking about heavy exercise, but rather yoga, which does not leave absolutely breathless but definitely helps me focus and still leaves me tired so I can have a quick shower and then creep into bed!


4. Don't eat late:

I never thought that eating at later hours would affect the quality of my sleep, but apparently it does!
For one, eating after 6pm to 7pm means that you're most likely to gain more weight than you would if you were eating at an earlier time - this counts for both dinner and snacks - but it also means that as your stomach will be busy dealing with your late night snack, your body will be able to relax a lot less, which in turn means that you'll probably either have trouble falling asleep or at least not sleep very well at all.


5. Pillow Spray:

This was actually a tip my Mom gave me - she's dealt with some heavy sleeping problems as well and whenever she just couldn't seem to be able to fall asleep, she used the AVON Planet Spa 'Sleep Serenity Pillow Spray', which smells of lavender and chamomile - not at all persistent, it rather lingers on the pillow and makes you feel insanely sleepy within less than two minutes - absolutely amazing, especially if you can't find anything else that seems to work for you.
Another blogger's favorite when it comes to pillow sprays is the this works 'Deep Sleep Pillow Spray', which is supposed to work wonders.


Is there anything that helps you when you're struggling to fall asleep?


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I really need this advice! Although I'm already failing, reading this at 10pm on my laptop! I'm a nightmare for staring at a screen till late'o'clock but I definitely agree with the exercise one, I always sleep so much better if I've been for a run on an evening.

    www.sheepishlyshameful.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely stare at my phone screen way too much before going to sleep! I always sleep way better after I had been on a run, but actually getting myself to go for a run is a whole other thing entirely, hahaha x

      Delete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig