Sunday, September 13, 2015

Recent Reads #4 | Finding Audrey


I seriously love reading, especially now that it's starting to get colder and fall's slowly creeping its way back into our lives, most of my evenings are spent on the sofa, cuddled up with a blanket, fuzzy socks and a cup of tea - and those are never really complete without a good book.

Now, me being a bookworm and all, I like to say that I read a lot, and that I'm also a pretty quick reader. Seriously, there was a point in my childhood when my Mom would stop buying books for me because she thought that spending 15€ on a book that I read in three days was unnecessary when I could get them at the library.

But jokes on you, Mom, because you got me this book after I had heard so many great things about it and I finished it in less than 24 hours. It was that great.


'Finding Audrey' by Sophie Kinsella, the author of the 'Shopaholic' series, is about Audrey, a teenage girl who experienced bullying at school, leading her to fall into a depression and developing a 'Social Anxiety Disorder'.

Because she is too imtimidated to talk to anyone outside her family, Audrey becomes a prisoner to her own home. Even inside her house, the teen never takes off her sunglasses - eye contact is overwhelming for her.

As she didn't have contact with anyone outside her family and a mental health institution after leaving school, meeting Linus, who's a friend of her brother's is a completely new experience, one that more than just scares her at the beginning.
But Linus kind personality and his open approach, Audrey slowly warms up to him.
Linus convinces her to do something that makes her stomach turn - going outside again. Hey, Starbucks is a start, right?

Having Linus at her side makes Audrey feel like she can do ever more things that scare her - and, even more importantly, she starts feeling that she can find her way back into the real world again.


I don't want to spoil too much of the book's plot because it's something you'll want to read for yourself. The story is narrated by Audrey herself - and even though you might've thought that as this book is about mental disorders, it might be deep and dark, she still makes it feel so light. And she's hilarious.

I loved seeing Audrey grow throughout the book and follwing her on her way too discovery. She is a brave, witty and bright girl. What's great about the way she's written that she's not supposed to attract pity - she manages to make the reader laugh, and once that things start getting serious with Linus, it's obvious that despite her state, she still only a normal teenage girl.

I also loved that her family was so present throughout the book because, and that might just be me, but y'know, they reminded me so much of my own - especially because my brother, much like Frank, is really into gaming. And who knows, maybe my Mom might end up throwing his computer out of the window as well? Stay tuned.


All in all, 'Finding Audrey' is a very sweet coming-of-age story with relateable characters you'll probably fall in love with and some seriously good humor - I mean, it made me laugh out loud while on the bus. And I regret nothing.
One of the best, if not the best book I've read so far this year!



What's the last book you read?


Bloglovin' | Instagram | Twitter
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig