Thursday, March 2, 2017

18 on 18

So. This is a bit awkward. It's been so long since I last sat down to write a blog post and I can't even describe how bad I feel for neglecting my little corner of the internet - and because of that, I didn't quite know how to get back into writing.

During the period of my disappearance (sounds a little more mystical than what really happened - being burried in workload and having a mental health crisis, but more on that at a later time), I happened to turn 18, so I decided to pick up an idea I had on my last birthday.

Last February, I shared 17 things I had learnt in the years leading up to my birthday, and since turning 18 means (technically) becoming an adult, I thought that it would be interesting to share some more important lessons I've learnt on my way to adulthood.
So, without further ado, let's get into it!






1. For a long time, I thought that having a heart that never ceases to love was a curse, but it truly is a blessing to be able to fill everyone you meet and everything you work on with all the love you've got.

2. Life is too short to be bitter and full of regrets.

3. If you don't open up your mouth to say the things you have to say, they are going to be left unsaid - often you get only one chance.

4. It's hard, but you really shouldn't care about the opinion of people who don't even know your last name.

5. If you don't stand up for yourself and your rights, no one ever will.

6. Travel and books are the two things you pay for that will always make you richer.

7. Don't ever talk to people on public transport. (Or at least in case you life in my city.)

8. People who act all tough sometimes turn out to be the sweetest of them all.

9. Try to make the best of each day. As cheesy as it sounds, try to see the good even in the most horrible of situations.

10. Courage might sometimes get you hurt, but fear will always.

11. Vodka. Is. Not. Your. Friend. When will you realise it and learn to say no.

12.  Being able to get involved in politics, to voice your opinions and stand up for what you believe in is a privilege that people in other countries can only dream of. Make good use of the rights you are given. 

13. Some days, you don't feel like getting out of bed, and that is okay. I know I said to see the best in every day, but at times, you might just need to lie in bed and stare at the ceiling and cry. That's okay and needed because you can keep those feelings in forever. They need out.

14. Taking the time to care for your mental health isn't dumb, it's necessary. So is taking a day off if your mental health is off the hook. Don't torture yourself.

15. No number will ever define your worth. Be it your grades, your income, your weight, your age. Those numbers say nothing about you as a human being - the way you treat others (and yourself) does.

16. You don't have to be the best at everything, You don't have to hay a special "talent" to identify with  being yourself is the one thing you can do better than anyone else.

17. If a man treats you like trash, leave. Do not stay with him, do not tell yourself that it was a one-time thing, that he didn't mean it. If he did it to you once, he is more than likely do it again. You do not need someone to poison your life.

18. No young adult has their life together. All of us are struggling, trying to figure out what we want to do, which direction to head in, how to cook dinner with the two ingredients in our fridge... You don't have to have it all planned out - and never be afraid to ask for help.


What's an important lesson you have learnt over time?





SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I really like this post! Happy 18th by the way. Some of these lessons are definitely ones I need to remember. Especially about putting my mental health first, and the fact that I'm not the only one struggling.

    theamandaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig