Saturday, November 21, 2015

How To Deal With Stress | Lifestyle


Seeing as my finals are coming up next month, I figured that a lot of others are probably struggling with just as much stress as I am right now. I mean, I'm literally running on a couple cups of coffee (I have seriously lost count) and loads of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Oh the sweet life of a student.

In all seriousness, though, I think that most of us don't really know how to deal with stress properly - and I'm not at all excluding myself here - and might start feeling overwhelmed once a certain amount of pressure is put onto their shoulders, so I thought it would be a good idea to share a few ways to wind down when the entire world is constantly winding you up.


1. Fresh Air

Whenever I feel like I'm starting to drown in the workload that's pilling up on my desk, I try to get fresh air in one way or another, whether that's by simply opening the window or even going for a walk.
It's amazing how much calmer you'll find yourself to be after you have taken a few deep breaths of fresh air and cooled down a little.

Also, going for a walk can feel like an actual for of therapy when you feel like you're going nowhere with your tasks because you'll get to see something else than your workspace while also physically moving - which leads me to my next point...


2. Exercising

Don't panic, I'm not telling you to go for a run every time you feel stressed out - I bow down to people who can keep up with running, because I sure as hell cannot.
Anyways, fret not, because it is proven that literally any form of excersise, from aerobics, to boxing, to yoga, can act as a stress reliver, so even if you consider yourself to be rather unfit, there will be something for you.
I myself have found yoga to work best for me when I need to calm myself down, and swimming when I desperately need to move and let out some negative emotions that have been pilling up over time.

Doing any form of sport will bump up the production of endorphins in your body, which basically act as your brain's feel-good neurotransmittors. It usually also needs you to completly focus on what you're doing, which obviously takes your mind off whatever is stressing you at in that moment.


3. Treat Yourself

I feel like there are a very few things that a hot bath can't cure, especially if you add one of Lush's bath bombs. The hot water will not only relax your muscles, but also your mind - especially when you, like me, love a good read while you're soaking in all the goodness.

Afterwards, I love to do my nails and out on a face mask, all while sipping ona hot chocolate and binge-watching one of my favorite shows or jamming out to some Spotify playlist.
You wouldn't believe how good a proper pamper session will leave you feeling!


4. Writing

This might just be the creative gene in me, but over the years I've realized that writing about the things that bother me in a way helps me deal with them - do you realize why I'm writing this right now?
Laying out all of the thoughts that are tangled up in your mind, the things that keep you awake at night or haunt you while you while you try to relax - write them down on paper, or even type them out. Seeing them right in front of you can help you think about your problems and even possible solutions to them.


5. Put Yourself First

In an achievement-oriented society like ours, it's very easy to just ignore the signals your body's sending you when you're working on a challenging task, but something you have to remember that no matter what it is that's causing you all this stress is much less than your health.

Take me as the best example - I'm such a damn perfectionist, I can literally not rest peacefully until I have gone through with something and I will literally find myself waking up at night in cold sweat because my stress followed me into my dreams and turned them into nightmares.
Don't do that to yourself. This might sound totally stupid, but getting not that much of a good grade or not getting that promotion you wanted or handing in that project a week late will not define your worth as a person, but stepping back from something that is making you feel negative in any way can only bring profits for you and your mental health with it.



How do you deal with stressful situations?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig