Sunday, July 5, 2015

5 Things Travelling Taught Me | Travel


Being a mostly broke student whose money is spent on bills, food and other addictions, aka lipsticks, I'm obviously not the most well-travelled person, even though I'd like to be one day.

But I already had a few experiences while travelling myself, some of which have certainly been more pleasant than others, but in my eyes I have so far always come home with a new lesson learnt - so I tought: why not share some of them with you guys?


1. Meeting various people from all around the world has opened my eyes to the fact that it's so important to value the little things.
No matter if it's the time you get to spend with family and friends, having fun and being careless, or the people who make your travels go smoother, like stewardesses and hotel staff, or a day out exploring the city, or a nice meal at the end of the day.
I feel like I don't treasure those things as much as I should, and whenever I'm away on holiday I realize that I shouldn't take them for granted.

2. Stepping away from the internet, social media and my phone and laptop in general is way more relaxing than I would've ever tought.
I don't think we realize how much of our life we spend on the internet, and how consuming it can get - and how shitty the internet can make us feel.
Not being able to use my phone for most of the time when I spent three weeks in the US left me feeling more relaxed than I had been in a long time, without worrying about constantly checking social media or staying in touch with people. Really, that works wonders.

3. If you can survive seeing someone almost 24/7 for a week or two without going insane or snapping and falling out with them, they really are amazing friends that you should keep close to your heart.
I've been on quite a few school trips and shared rooms with more people then I could remember, and I lost my marbles more than once - the only people whose throats I haven't been at yet are girls who I've been friends with for over five, some of them even ten years now. After travelling with them to completely unkown countries, I now know that I can count on them in any kind of situation, from sudden lady problems to pushy guys, language barriers, or getting stuck in a bathroom stall.

4. Getting homesick is part of the whole thing. It doesn't always happen to me, but there will most definitely come a point when you're seven thousand miles away from home and your day hasn't gone the way you wanted it to and you lost a 20 dollar note and then you dropped a bowl of cereal and you'll find yourself sitting on the kitchen floor, crying and wishing your Mom was there to comfort you, or even just to laugh at you for being so dramatic.
Same applies for being lonely, especially whe you're travelling with a large group of people who are all friends and you kind of feel like the odd one out. It won't always be that way, don't worry. Both they and you will open up to one another after one or two days - I became friends with people who appeared to absolutely despise me when we started our trip.

5. When you're going abroad, don't just stick to your culture and look for restaurants that offer food you know.
Exploring a new place's culture is the most interesting thing about being away from home - yes, it's not all swimming in the hotel's pool or tanning on the beach.
Get out of your hotel, take a cab and drive downtown, and just wander. Get lost. Go into a local pub, or a cafe, or a restaurant. Have a look around the shops. Mingle with the locals. You will get so much more out of that one day of adventure than you would out of a day spent trying to tan and getting a sunburn.


What is something that you have learnt while travelling?


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Absolutely agree with the last point! I also still prefer using traditional maps instead of navigators. Makes it not only a lot more interesting but challenging as well :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you! I spent almost my entire Berlin trip using maps, and it's been a challenge - but also really, really funny. :) x

      Delete
  2. Loved this! Putting my phone down and not replying to a few texts is the best way for me to feel relaxed..I mean you don't have to text people EVERYDAY lol right? Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how honest this post is. Travelling can do wonders to you xx

    -Wildfire Charm

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig