Sunday, June 4, 2017

5 Excerpts from a Novel I'll Never Write

Writing has been my way to escape and to process my thoughts and emotions, it has been for as long as I can remember. I've always been writing short stories or experimenting with poems, and for over two years, I've been writing for this blog.

However, while I've been writing short and sweet pieces for what feels like my entire life, it has always been my dream to write a novel. A full-blown book, from start to finish - not like all the stories I started writing and then just kind of stopped because my motivation fizzed out.
Now that I'm just four weeks away from graduation, I have a lot more time on my hands, though, so I'm one step closer to actually start working on it!

Even though I have an acutal concept and even a few characters in my head that I'd love to play around with, I have not written out anything at all yet, probably because I've spent the past two months studying 24/7. However, now and then, sentences or short passages pop into my head that I'd love to incorporate into my novel, if I was to ever write it.
Because of that, I thought that I'd share five extracts from the novel I might never write with you guys today!






1. "Driving people away is what I do best. There’s certainty in not being close with anyone, certainty in not relying on others, because in they end, they will always leave you. So it’s best to not let them get to you from the start."

2.   If there’s one thing I learnt in life it’s this: tell people how you feel about them. Even if it hurts. It will hurt more when you watch someone you have loved for over a decade fall in love with someone else simply because you never had the nerve to actually open your mouth. 

3.  "People who romanticise death, people who think grief is looking pretty while a single tear rolls down your cheek as you dramatically look out of the window have clearly never had an it intimate realtionship with death.” She suddenly sat down on the sofa, and it looked every bit like a house collapsing in itself. “Death isn’t pretty. When someone you love dies, they take a piece of you with them. You convince yourself that you will continue living your life, but it’s like living on after having a limb violently ripped off your body. "

4.  "You can’t just walk into my life and just kiss me like your life depends on it one night, and then never talk to me again. "

5.  "I want to be with you so badly but I just don’t know how. I look at you standing there, and you are everything I have ever wanted, right in front of me. I want to close the space between us, I want to make this work. But I just don't know how." Her voice broke as she stared at the ground. "I feel like all the things I have lived through have left me with a kind of numbness that won't let me love others, or never love them enough."


I know this is quite a different kind of post, so if you enjoyed it, please let me know - if you did, there may be another one heading your way in the future!





SHARE:

1 comment

  1. These 5 excerpts are actually really good. I even relate to some of them haha It's a different kind of post but it's so original, I love it! I wouldn't be brave enough to share my short stories, at least not at the moment haha
    Anna x
    dropsofanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig