Friday, September 23, 2016

7 Things I've Learnt Through Blogging

I've been blogging for roughly one year and six months and started devoting most of my spare time to my writing and this blog at the beginning of this year. Even though I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the girls and boys who have been grooming their blogs for three, four, even five years, but I recently realized how many things I've learnt ever since creating this outlet for myself.
Some of those things are really helpful, some eye-opening and some just pretty funny, but I think some of my fellow bloggers might be able to relate to this and have a good old laugh!



1. Taking those glossy, perfectly organized photos you've been admiring on other people's blogs or Instagram accounts is bloody hard. Photography itself is bloody hard. It's an everlasting process, one of those skills you always seem to keep on learning new things about. And while it's mostly fun taking pictures for your blog, constantly re-arranging props or deleting 98 out of the 100 pictures you took because they're out of focus or too dark can be a little discouraging.

2. Natural lighting is your best friend. And also really hard to get hold of come fall and winter. You might find yourself scheduling your day around the fact that you need to squeeze in a week's worth of pictures during those few sunny hours you get every day or so.

3. You don't always have to be positive on your blog. I think most of us aren't postive in our daily lives, so why would we put on that facade for our blog? It's okay to talk about topics that make your stomach turn, and it's okay to tell your readers if you think a product sucks. It's better to be credible.

4. There's no one-for-all recipe when it comes to blogging. You can read as many "tips on how to improve your blog" post as you like, but in the end, blogging will always be a very personal thing. You often learn through trial and error, that way you find out what works for you and what doesn't.

5. Blogging is actually hard work. When I created this blog, I thought I'd smack down a post at least every second day. Ha ha, good one. It takes time to create the kind of quality content that makes people want to read your posts, the kind they might come back for. It's definitely better to chose quality over quantity.

6. It's really exciting when brands approach you for the first time, but you shouldn't be too quick to accept when it comes to collaboration offers. If the product you're asked to promote has nothing to do with you and your blog, you will most likely not profit from it. Imagine promoting tampons to your audience if you're a male blogger or reviewing cat food if you've never had a pad - it'll look a little strange and make you look like you don't take your collaborations into consideration.

7. Don't ever compare yourself to others. It's incredibly easy to look at other people's stats and get discouraged, but all of our blogging journeys are different. Maybe they have been at it for a lot longer, or they have more time to spend working on their blog, or or or. It sounds like bullshit, and it obviously can't always be avoided, but you should be aware that your path will most likely not be like someone elses, but completely unique.



Is there anything important you've learnt during your blogging journey?

If you liked this post and want to be updated on fresh content regularly, why not follow me on Bloglovin'?
You can find me on TwitterPinterest and Instagram as well!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I agree with ALL the 7 tips! Especially, the photography one: it is so bloody difficult haha! I am so glad you started this blog because it's one of me favourites!

    www.reetlonari.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made my day, thank you sooo much! You're so so sweet. I'm really glad you liked this post and also frequently read my blog, it means a lot to me! :) x

      Delete
  2. Great post! Seriously, people who are only ever happy on their blog scare me because that's just not real.

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's definitely not realistic and I don't want to appear to always be on top of everything - it's human to feel differently as well!

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree! Some of my most popular posts are ones that I consider negative.

    www.beautyfromkatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same applies to me! It's amazing and always encourages me to share more of these posts on here! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's definitely exciting! Especially when it's obvious the people contacting you have read more than just one of your posts and are actually interested in you :)

      Delete
  5. So true... especially the part about deleting 98 out of 100 photos... some even after editing...
    http://www.mirrorsandsunshine.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post lovely! I completely agree with not comparing yourself to others it's such a waste of time!

    Ella xx
    www.inellaselement.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig