Sunday, May 22, 2016

4 Things That Help During Your Period

When the idea for this post popped into my head as I laid crouched over my desk, pondering how I had not fainted from the pain in my stomach and lower back yet, I thought that people would probably wrinkle their noses at the title at first.

But judging by the fact that 95% of my readers are female, at least according to Google Analytics, I figured that I might as well go for it.
Periods are something that all of us girls have to go through for a period of our lives, some with less, some with worse side effects, ranging from cramps to moodswings to breakours.

As someone who was cursed with extremly bad period cramps that often leave me lying in fetus position for the first two day of that time of the month, I thought I'd be a nice idea to share the top five things that keep me from losing it during the most difficult time of the month.


1. Cozy up

I think this one is pretty obvious - when you feel pretty much like crap and just want to crawl under a blanket and cry, that's what you should do. Seriously, your period is the time you should be good to yourself.

Grab yourself a hot beverage, a hot water bottle and crawl under a blanket on your sofa, or even into your bed and do something that makes you feel at ease, like reading a good book or watching an episode of your favorite TV show. Being in constant pain isn't fun, but taking some time to tune out of everything life's throwing at you on top of it can be very soothing.

2. Light exercise

I know that a lot of people will think that I'm nuts for even mentioning exercise to someone who's on their period, and I don't blame you because exercise, or moving in general, is the last thing I want to do when I'm on my period.

But light exercise such as stretching, yoga or pilates will help you relieve cramps and often even prevent them - studies have shown that your menstrual afflictions, such as cramping and heavy flow, can often be prevented if you are more active.

3. Have a hot bath

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of bathing and relaxing in steamy water, so naturally, I choose to treat myself to a luxurious bath with a bath bomb or bath melt, rose petals, candles and all that good stuff at least once during the worst week of the month.

Baths work the same way against your period pains as they do against aching muscles or illnesses, they calm you and leave you feeling refreshed and rested while also relieving cramps the way a hot water bottle would.

4. Watch what you eat

When on my period, I often crave foods that include heavy levels of sugar and salt or drinks such as coffee - but no matter how much I want them, these foods will actually make me feel a lot worse.
Salt, for example, causes water retention, leaving you feeling even more bloated up - yuck!

Instead of foods that include the above, try to keep to healthier options and eat those more regularly, as in five smaller meals as opposed to three large ones - it keeps your metabolism up and running which gives you energy and thus, makes you feel better.

On top of that, you should try to keep hydrated - even more than you usually should, anyways! Dehydration will also make you feel worn out and tired.


Is there anything that helps you when you're on you period? Please share it in the comments so myself, and maybe even some others, can try those methods out!
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. These tips are really good :) I'm so happy that I don't have so many problems or pains !
    Have a wonderful week xx

    aishettina.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that! And you're so lucky, I wish I could go without cramps for once :c
      Have a wonderful week yourself ❤️

      Delete
  2. Love these tips! I didn't even realise lots of salt can make you bloat, would explain a lot with me!

    Really good post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad that I could help! It's really hard for to stay away from salty food as well, but I always feel so much better when I do :)

      Delete

Please let me know what you think!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig